Sunday, March 06, 2005

Busy Weekend

Well I had a fun out of the blue weekend. For a nice change of pace. As ya'all know (If you read my blog) I have money issues, so I don't get out much these days. But on Friday I got a call at work from my best friend I grew up with who is in the Navy and stationed at Camp Lejuen NC (Jacksonville) who was getting away for the weekend with a fellow female work associate and wanted me and my bf to meet up with them in Wilmington to go out partying. So after work, I rushed home and J and I threw clothes into an over night bag and went for it. (That's what CC's are for arent they? Emergencies? *Grin*)

So we got a room across the hall from them and then we called a taxi and it took us downtown where we proceeded to blend in with the college kids out on spring break. We started off at Gen. Longstreets where the drinks are reasonable, got our buzz going and moved onto Rum Runners where they had dueling pianists. That was fun, it was or is, an updated version of an old fashioned sing along, and the highlight for me was when they had a stand off over which song would be played when some northern students payed to have NEW YORK NEW YORK sung, but some southern students there for a birthday bash payed to have COTTON EYE JOE played... so everyone kept bringing up $1.00 bills until at last... The South WON! LOL Both songs are great but so different. The 4 of us laughed our asses off at all the fun going on around us and it is my friends first year here in the south, we grew up together in California, and she had a small stint in VA before going back west and then to Okinawa and Italy. She decided to move here to the South and have her mom join her and her son and she bought a house. I've been breaking her into southern traditions since her arrival a year ago.

I think she got hooked this weekend. There is just something about the music of "Cotton eye Joe" that warms you all over like a bowl of warm buttery & salted grits on a cold winters night. ;>

We plan to get together again soon to do a backwoods bar (not city) on a Friday night, and then head to Myrtle Beach for a Saturday night (That's only an hours drive from here). I really should take her to the Dixie Stampede while we're there.

=)

Anyway, we got back to the hotel late and J and I didn't get to sleep till after 3:30 am, and our wake up call was at 10, because I had to work on Saturday at 3 and he had to go see his neice for her b-day. So I was very tired at work, but it went by fast and smooth for the most part, another friend dropped by at work and told me about a drug bust she was involved in - damn - and you think you know people. The short of the story though is, one of the few places I used to enjoy going to to dance the weekend away was shut down due to the owner being busted for cocain.

At some point I just think people need to outgrow certain things. I understand in our youth doing or trying dumb shit but not when your older and supposedly wiser and own a business. Well... it isn't my life and I'm no judge, so it's not my place to do any judging. I only hope that the innocent involved remain innocent. (These were all parents and grandparents and I am refering to all the children, spouses and bf's/gf's who were not involved but who will be affected from these bad decisions).

SO I made it home in time to turn on 2 back to back great movies - Young Guns 1 & 2 and thats where I stayed the rest of last night... in bed in front of the TV and I actually got a great nights sleep. But when I get a good job I am making a promise to myself. Every Saturday night I PROMISE to take myself out dancing or whatever to break up a rather monotonouse lifestyle I've gotten into since becomeing a girlfriend! BLAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home