Saturday, February 26, 2005

Behind the Counter

Behind the Counter - A Wal-Mart Employees day's at the Service Desk. Here is someone who's still there, and keeping a blog on it. Bless her.

But God how I hate Wal-Mart.

I don't hate saving money, I'm normal. What I hate is the treatment of workers. Did you know that wal-Mart stores in Europe had to provide stools for all cashiers to sit at in order to be allowed into European countries? Hey but not in America. Please, next time your in Wal-Mart - look at the people who greet you at the door, see their age? See their disability? THANK THEM for putting up with not only that stores policies, but ASSHOLE Customers as well!

In the store where I live, a local girl of 22 years of age with 2 kids, going through a divorce, got a job at Wal-Mart. One of the managers at Wal-Mart, age 38, divorced, 1 teen child living with him, started an affair with the 22 yr old associate. When he got said girl pregnant, he paid for her abortion. She went back to work, and watched as he flirted with other associates. She never said a thing to anyone except her closest friends who worked there as well, because she didn't want either of them to get into trouble. Unfortunately for her, one of her friends spilled the beans to another manager, because said friend couldn't stand seeing her (22 yr old) so hurt by it all. Well... 38 yr old manager is removed from this store and placed in store in next town. 22 yr old is fired.

Over all this isn't all horrible, it's just 1 or 2 things here at this store and actually I have at least 100 more, we're a small town so everyone knows everything that goes on. The thing of it is, as an employee of Wal-Mart, those folks have no life outside of the place. Today you may work the 2 - 11 PM shift, but tomorrow your working the 7am-4pm shift. And if your 65, those two combinations will kick you in the ass. But if your a young mother of 3, forget about being there for your kids, homework time, or decent meals. If your a single mother of 3, you might as well put those kids up for adoption, because Wal-Mart doesn't give a rat's ass if your 5 year old has the flu, they're short on cashiers and if you want to keep your job you best get your ass in there now!

Most of my friends who work there, take their phones off the hook on their days off. Because if Wal-Mart calls you in on your day off, they will fire you if you do not come in.

I'll tell you one thing, if your wanting to loose some weight and don't need to make lots of money, then Wal-Mart is an excellent gym to work at - and you get paid to go there. But don't get hurt on the job, they have expensive lawyers to prove you somehow broke the rules using the equipment and therefore should not have to pay the doctor bills.

Yes I'm an ex-employee -a bitter one. The experience was the worst I ever had. I wanted a job that would work with me around a college schedule - which they did. They gave me 10 hours a week. I worked that job for 18 months. But in my 18th month my supervisor called me into the managers offices and said she needed to write me up for talking too much on the job with other employees. Let me explain my job... I worked in the shoe department. You straighten shoes the entire time your there because for some unknown reason, folks do not know how to put shoes back in the boxes they remove them from. Some even expect you to help them try them on. Anyway, you do that, you help customers, you keep all the over heads straightened and you go up to the customer service desk to retrieve any returns. The shoe dept. is usually in the back of the store off to it's self. For 18 months I did my job for 10 hours a week at 7 dollars and 34 cents an hour. I was single, and from the time I started there till the time I left I lost about 80 pounds. The single men in the store started to notice me and would come hang out in my department flirting with me as I continued to do my job. I chatted with the guys I liked (usually the ones who never really got more friendly than just chat _no date asking). In the write up she did state that I always did my job, but that she just was not happy that these men would come there and I would talk with them. These men were not written up I might add. Anyway - the icing for me was that just the day before this same said woman had sat her ass down on the department ladder and talks for 2 freaking hours to her next door neighbor who had dropped by. I know because she sat on that ladder just as I got there and she was still there when I told her I was taking my 1st break for the day. So at this point, I told her and the manager to kiss my ass and shove the job up theirs! I walked out, went home and screamed at the walls.

This was about 5 years ago, since then I have learned so much about that company that my only wish is that they would go bankrupt. But that's not going to happen. they will continue to drive down prices in towns, under pay their employees, which makes other stores do the same in order to make any profit. They will keep the employees poor, while their CEO's make millions a year. Next time your shopping at Wal-Mart and you wonder why your cashier is being such a bitch, try to remember she hasn't sat down all day, probably hasn't gone out and had fun in over a month and may have not seen her kids in 2 days except to kiss them good night or say good morning.

Some news sites you should check out:
Wal-Mart tire employees have the fear of God put in them.
The Wal-Mart Manifesto

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Today you may work the 2 - 11 PM shift, but tomorrow your working the 7am-4pm shift."

Wal-Mart isn't the only place that does this, so let's not pretend this is some rarity.

Either way, I'm all for taking Wal-Mart down.

February 26, 2005 2:22 AM  
Blogger Wench` said...

It's true Wal-Mart isn't the only place to do this, but it's one of the largest coperations to do this and sets the standards that others follow.

I don't think it's too much to ask that this major corperation set a better standard and example. They can afford it. Pay better, give cashiers and door greeters seats, same rules for associates as managers, 2 days off in a row, work at one time frame per week rather than a mixed up schedule. And a host of other things.

February 26, 2005 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home