Monday, January 10, 2005

Secret confessions of a cat lady

I was looking at pictures of cats last night and left a msg at one - afterwards I realized how I must look as the local cat lady. I didn't start off as that, it's not like I purposely went out and picked up all the cats who live around my house... It's all circumstantial evidence I swear!

It happened like this:

My mom has 2 cats, both orange striped, brother and sister, named Salt and Pepper. Real imaginative - especially since they're not even black and white! Anyway, my daughters had lovingly caught a baby wild kitten who was *maybe* 4 weeks old because they had always wanted a white cat and this one has a blue eye and a green eye. (She is beautiful - but don't touch her or you may only get a hand back with nubs where your fingers used to be.) They named her Unique. Anyway, so when we combined homes, we then had 3 cats living in it. Pepper, the female one of my moms doesn't leave my mothers bedroom. She thinks she's guarding it and the only cat ever allowed in there is her brother and only when she's in a tolerant mood.

Then my boyfriends sister decided to move and told him he would have to take his cat that she had been keeping for him all this time. It's a calico named Patches. The meeting of the 4 cats was interesting, we're still vacuuming up fur and it's been over a year now. At this point they all tolerate each other but there isn't any play between them. Now my mom's cats are neurotic to say the least, Salty is so obese that the vet is now making my mother learn how to give him his shots whenever we go to the vet so she'll know how to give him insulin shots when he develops diabetes. (She didn't find this funny - but I did) He's suppose to be on a diet, but you can't feed 3 cats and leave the 4th out - he finds ways to get that food. *Another story*... Unique climbs the door jams, and it isn't pretty, and Patches claws the furniture which WAS brand new last February. *Again another story*...

We moved into this larger home a year ago, it has a covered front porch, a side screened in porch and a back deck. Our lovely neighbors across the street had 4 cats of there own. 1 was the mother cat - short hair black. Her 3 offspring were all long haired and beautiful. The neighbors were having marriage trouble, screaming matches in the front yard, with windows open, 2 am or whenever or where ever... so they decided to move into town close to where he works (since he lost his drivers license for a DUI) They would show up about once a week, slice open a huge bag of dog food and throw it into the back yard for the dogs. If they even fed the cats I have no idea... but the cats took up residence on my front porch where they figured we'd at least pet them. That is, 2 of them did. The other 2 are wild, because that family had been unable to find homes for them as kittens and had never wanted them. So now I have "mama cat" and "baby boy" coming for attention.

Neighbors called the police about the dog situation, so they took the dogs to the pound. It wasn't like "animal cops" on the animal planet channel either. In the meantime, "She" came back to the house to live with her 2 small children and left him in town. They were now officially separated and she was moving out west. I asked her about the cats and she ignored me and went into her home. When he showed up one day I asked him about the cats since now I was feeding them, and he said it wasn't his problems they were HER cats. Uh huh.

I made a small poster with pictures of baby-boy on it, trying to find a home for him because damnit I don't like the pound! People came by to have a look at him but as soon as he got wind of strangers in the area he was outta there like a bullet. Mama cat is the same way. I guess they feel they have been abandoned enough in there lives. So what can I do? At least all the cats have been spayed or neutered now. The last thing I need is kittens!

Now the owners are gone (do you see my tears?), a For Sale sign is in the front lawn and I have 4 house cats, 2 porch cats and 2 wild cats hanging around and I am now a freaking cat lady!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cat lady types
her keyboard adjacent to
reeking litterbox.


8-) Uncensored

January 10, 2005 9:39 PM  
Blogger Wench` said...

2 litter boxes cleaned every morning (1 in the house and 1 on the porch) so no reeking, should I censor you uk? Your so bad. But not as bad as me! LOL

*wink*

January 10, 2005 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home